Wednesday 25 September 2013

Buying Raspberry Pi in India

While the search for an electronic development board with both Ethernet and RS232 interfaces yielded not so encouraging results but this quest introduced me to something called "Raspberry Pi". for all the novices like me, Raspberry Pi is a small credit card sized computer board.more details
diving into the details and on reading great reviews by numerous experts on web made me wonder about the capabilities and the possibilities of utilizing the capabilities for my project( i.e. implementing an serial to Ethernet communication interface). so after finalizing the SBC with ARM11 chip (with consent of my project guide) the first step was to get a Raspberry Pi board. As it was launched quite earlier so lots of information is available about from where and how to order the board. But I had lots of confusion and I wanted to get the board at least price and within minimum time in India.

As already there are loads of information available on WWW about the pi, programming it, interfacing it, using it , etc. My focus in this blog is to present the options on buying(where I am facing the problems) and save the prospective reader from the trouble of lots of trolling  on online electronic stores, registering in on each of them  so on and so forth.

options available

One would require some cable, either HDMI or RCA in order to connect the Pi to the display, as I didnt have any HDMI TV and Pi doesnt have a VGA out, but in our College lab Projectors are available with RCA in, hence I also checked for an RCA Cable( when you buy board, you get only the board and nothing else.)


For Cable- INR 50
and Pi-       INR 3300
Shipping     INR 200
-----------------------
Total          INR 3550/-

Option 2 ModPi(UK)


 with current dollar to INR rates this seems to be the cheapest option available.
45.20( shipping+Pi) = INR 2825


from RSdelivers



on reading the fine print, found out that the vat, shipping etc. are all excluded. On calling the customer care( very prompt I must say) found out that the cost displayed 3230 is the cost if  they deliver in 2-3 weeks, but If someone wants it within 1 week then additional 12% would be applicable. on realizing that I am a student the kind customer executive told me to check out the Crazypi site as well for buying rasp pi.
there also the price was high with some extra shipping charges.

Finally after lots of surfing and eating up my data-plan I ordered on modmypi from UK and the order is  processed, costed me 2829 Cheaper than all the Indian alternative is assuring that the delivery would be made within 4-days. Keeping my fingers crossed and eagerly waiting for the Pi to arrive (after a very long time I am feeling like a kid waiting for some special gift :P.. if you know what I mean..;))

meanwhile I will be looking for ways to efficiently and easily program the Pi...


entry 4 Oct 2013
Today the Pi Arrived...



1 comment: